One of my new year’s resolutions was to add more fiber to my diet. In the process, I have learned a lot about fiber. Here are some of the interesting facts I have found about fiber.
Why do we need fiber in our diet?
- Normalizes bowel movements
- Lowers cholesterol
- Helps control blood sugar
- Aids in weight loss
- The benefit are to many to name
Where do we find fiber?
- Whole foods such as: whole-grains, fruit, vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds.
Ways to easily add more fiber:
- Start the day with a cereal with at least 5 grams of fiber. Then add a tablespoon of ground flax seeds or bran and the top with berries or sliced banana.
- Prepare steamed or roasted vegetables in large batches for easy meals or snacks.
- Make a large pot of bean once a week. These can be used in salads, wraps, stews and soups.
- Have fresh fruit available for quick snacks.
There are so many tasty foods with fiber. Here is a list of my favorites:
- Ground Flax seeds
- Acorn and Spaghetti Squash
- Berries (all kinds)
My new year’s resolution is turning out to be an interesting journey. Since increasing my fiber intake I have noticed fiber-rich foods fill me up more and are digested slower, so I don’t get hungry as fast. My new year’s resolution has turned into an everyday solution.