chickpeaandseitanwhiteenchiladas, chickpeaenchilada, enchiladas, joyfulmommaskitchen, seitanenchilada, whiteenchiladas
It was overcast and a little rainy today and I was feeling like some comfort food would be good. I found this recipe a few months ago and I thought it sounded so good but a little too rich for me. So today I took advantage of the cooler weather and decided to re-make this recipe into a lower fat, vegetarian version. This recipe is so quick and easy to make and pretty tasty if I do say so.
Inspired by: White Chicken Enchiladas by Joyful Momma’s KitchenIngredients:
- 10 soft corn tortillas (taco size)
- 8 oz seitan strips (I used West Soy)
- 15 oz can chickpeas (drained)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 TBSP earth balance
- 3 TBSP flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
- 7 oz can diced green chilies
- Olive Oil (for pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan with olive oil.
- Mix seitan strips, chickpeas and 1 cup of cheese. Roll this filling in tortillas, place in pan seam side down.
- In a saucepan, melt earth balance over medium heat. Then whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Add yogurt and chilies to mixture. Do not bring to boil, to prevent curling the yogurt.
- Pour hot mixture over enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 22 minutes and then turn on broiler to high for about 3 minutes to brown the cheese.